Making your own handmade ornaments is a fun, festive way to get into the holiday spirit. Not only will you save money, but you’ll also have a one-of-a-kind tree topper that no one else will have.
There are many different ways to make your own Christmas ornaments—from simple projects using materials you probably already have around the house, to more complex designs that require special tools and skills. Therefore, you may make some lovely DIY ornaments this year, regardless of whether you are an expert crafter or have never held a needle and thread in your life.
This blog post will show you 30 different ways you can make your own homemade Christmas ornaments. So get out your supplies and get ready to be crafty to create memories and decorations that will last a lifetime by trying out one (or all!) of our DIY ornament ideas this year.
How to Make Christmas Ornaments
Get Inspired by Looking at Pictures of Christmas Ornaments Online
Christmas is a time when people make memories and partake in activities that will last a lifetime. Different people have diverse traditions for observing the Christmas holiday. Maybe it’s driving around to see houses decked out in lights, putting up a tree and hanging ornaments, or baking cookies. This year, expand your world and get some inspiration on how to be crafty by looking at pictures of Christmas ornaments online.
You can find ideas for every type of ornament, from simple and traditional to more complex and creative. One great way to get inspired is to look at different materials that you could use to make your ornaments. For example, if you’re interested in making a snowman ornament, you could use white felt, pipe cleaners, and buttons. Or if you want to make an ornament out of a picture frame, you could use scrapbooking materials like stickers and ribbons.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to crafting your own ornaments, so take a look at some pictures online and get started.
Choose an Ornament Design
Christmas ornament designs can be as simple or as intricate as you want them to be. If you’re looking for a quick and easy project, choose a design that is simple and straightforward. If you’re looking for something more challenging, choose a more intricate design.
When choosing an ornament design, consider the following factors:
- The materials you have available
- The skills you possess
- The time you have available
- The size of the ornament
- The complexity of the ornament.
Once you’ve considered these factors, choose a design that is best suited to your needs.
Gather Your Materials
Now that you are familiar with the different kinds of ornament designs, take some time to learn about the materials required to make these ornaments. Materials needed are:
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Felt in Various Colors
- Pipe Cleaners in Various Colors
- Ribbons in Various Colors
- Styrofoam ball
Trace the Pattern Onto the Felt
Christmas ornaments don’t have to be store-bought! You can easily make your own using simple materials like felt and a tracing pattern.
- Download or find a tracing pattern for a Christmas ornament online. Many designs are available, so you’re sure to find one that fits your style.
- Cut a piece of felt in the shape of the ornament. If you’re using a pattern, cut the felt slightly smaller than the shape so it’s easier to sew around the edges.
- Trace the pattern onto the felt using a fabric marker. Be sure to press hard so the markings will show up well on the felt
- Sew around the edges of the ornament using a sewing machine or by hand. If you’re using a pattern, be sure to follow the lines closely so your ornament will look neat and professional.
Cut Out the Ornament Shape
One of the easiest ways to make a DIY ornament is to cut out a shape from some paper. You can use construction paper, wrapping paper, or any other type of paper you have on hand.
To cut out the shape, use scissors to carefully cut out the desired shape. You can make any design you want, so be creative!
To make a tree ornament, you can use a star- or Christmas tree-shaped template as a guide. Just be sure to leave enough space around the edge of the shape so that you can attach it to the ornament hanger later.
Once you have cut out the shape, use a hole punch to make a small hole at the top of the ornament. This is where you will thread the string or ribbon later.
Now that you have your DIY ornament shape, it’s time to sew the ornament together.
Sew the Ornament Together
You can easily make your own Christmas ornaments with a little bit of sewing. You can use any type of fabric you want, and you can get as creative as you want with the design.
To sew an ornament, you’ll need:
- Fabric scraps in different colors and patterns
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
Follow the guide below to sew:
- Cut a piece of fabric that’s about 6×6 inches. You can make it bigger or smaller if you want, but this is a good size to start with
- Cut another piece of fabric that’s about 2×6 inches. This will be the strap for your ornament.
- Sew the two pieces of fabric together, using a sewing machine or needle and thread. Make sure to leave a space open at the top of the ornament so you can fill it with stuffing later
- Once the fabric is sewn together, turn the ornament inside out so the seams are hidden on the inside
- Fill the ornament with stuffing until it’s nice and plump. Then sew up the opening at the top so the stuffing doesn’t fall out
- Cut a piece of ribbon that’s about 12 inches long. Tie it into a bow and tie it around the top of your ornament
- Trim the ends of the ribbon if necessary.
Your ornament is now complete. To learn how to sew an ornament together accurately, watch the lesson step guide: How to Sew an Ornament Together-Youtube
Add Embellishments to Your Ornament
Adding embellishments to your ornament is a great way to make it unique and personal. You can use anything from sequins and beads to ribbons and lace. Here are a few ideas:
- Glue on sequins, beads, or other small decorations
- Decorate with ribbon or lace
- Wrap a piece of wire around the ornament for added interest
- Add a bow or other decorative element.
This is a great way to use up any craft supplies you have around the house. Get creative and have fun with it.
Hang Your Ornament on the Tree
After you create your ornament and add decorations to make it more beautiful, the next step is to find the perfect place to hang it on your Christmas tree. If you’re using a real tree, ensure the ornament is securely fastened, so it doesn’t fall and break. You can use a clear fishing line or thin ribbon to do this.
You can hang the ornaments on the branches if you have an artificial tree. Again, ensure they’re secure, so they don’t fall and break.
You can also hang your ornaments from the ceiling or a doorway. This is a great way to add extra holiday cheer to your home and create extraordinary holiday memories.
Different Types of Ornament Designs
Christmas ornaments come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, but some of the most popular designs are tree-shaped ornaments. To get you started, here are some wonderful ideas for Christmas ornaments that you can make yourself:
Paper Snowflakes Ornaments
Paper snowflakes are among the most common and widely used forms of Christmas decorations. Not only are they simple to assemble, but you can make them your own with a few creative touches.
Making paper snowflakes is a tradition that dates back centuries. However, the process is simple: draw a simple snowflake design and cut out the shape; fold it in half; and cut along the folded edge. Repeat this process until you have the desired shape.
Additionally, there are many ways to personalize your snowflakes. You can use different paper colors, add glitter or sequins, or even use stickers.
Salt Dough Ornaments
Salt dough ornaments are a fun, easy way to get into the Christmas spirit. Not only are they pretty, but they also smell great. Here’s how to make them:
- Set your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup salt, 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 cup water until it forms a dough. If it’s too sticky, add more flour until it’s manageable
- The dough should be rolled out to a thickness of about 1/4 inch on a lightly dusted surface. Using a cookie cutter, cut out the appropriate form (or use any other sharp object). To hang the ornament afterward, make a hole on top of it.
- Bake for 2-3 hours or until the ornament is hard and dry to the touch. Let cool before decorating with paint, glitter or anything else you like.
Yarn Ball Ornaments
These cute ornaments are a fun and easy way to decorate your tree or home for Christmas. They are made by wrapping yarn around a Styrofoam ball and attaching a ribbon hanger. With any color of yarn, you can easily personalize these ornaments to your liking.
Yarn ball personalized ornaments add a touch of rustic charm to your Christmas decorations. They are also very lightweight, so they won’t weigh down your tree branches. You can make them in any color you like and mix different colors together to create a unique effect.
Pine Cone Ornaments
Pinecone ornaments are one of the simplest DIY ornaments to make. They are a simple and easy way to add some rustic charm to your Christmas tree this year. All you need is a pinecone, some ribbon, and some glue.
First, cut a piece of ribbon that is long enough to go around the pinecone twice. Glue one end of the ribbon to the top of the pinecone, and then wrap it around the cone until you reach the other end. Glue those ends down and trim off any excess ribbon.
You can leave your ornament as it is or add a little decoration by glueing it on sequins, glitter, or other small objects. Let your imagination run wild!
Embroidery Hoop Ornament
Decorate your Christmas tree with stunning embroidery hoop ornaments. They are easy to construct, and you can design them to be as unique as you wish.
Follow these easy step-by-step instructions to create this elegant ornament:
- Cut a piece of fabric large enough to fit around the outside of the hoop
- Fold over the edges of the fabric so that it is about 1/2 inch wide
- Use a hot glue gun to glue the fabric to the hoop
- Add any decorations you like (sequins, beads, ribbon, etc.
Fabric Scrap Ornament
This ornament is made from fabric scraps that are sewn together into a simple patchwork design. It is a simple project for using up leftover fabric scraps from other holiday projects. Making a fabric scrap ornament is very simple.
To make this simple ornament, first cut out a square from the felt or fabric. Then, fold the square in half diagonally and cut along the fold. This will give you two triangles. Cut off one corner of each triangle so that they are more rounded shapes.
Next, unfold the triangles and use a hot glue gun to attach the ribbon bow or lace if desired. Finally, re-fold each triangle into a small ornament shape and hot glue them together at the bottom corners.
This rustic ornament is made from a slice of wood that has been painted and decorated with Christmas-themed stickers or images. It is a quick and easy project that can be made with wood slices that are readily available at most craft stores.
To make this adorable ornament, start by painting the wood slice with a base coat of paint or acrylic paint. Once the paint layer is dry, stick stickers or images to the ornament. You can also use a sharpie to write a Christmas message on the ornament. Once the ornament is decorated, hot glue a ribbon to the top of the wood slice and hang it on the tree.
Felt Ball Ornaments
These are felt balls that are strung together with thread or ribbon. You can make these in any color combination you like, and they add a touch of whimsy to the tree.
To make felt ball ornaments, you will need felt balls in various colors, thread or ribbon, and scissors.
- Cut a piece of thread or ribbon that is about 18 inches long
- Knot one end of the thread or ribbon
- String the felt balls on the thread or ribbon, alternating colors as desired
- Knot the other end of the thread or ribbon to keep the balls in place.
Paper Strip Ornaments
These ornaments are made from strips of paper that are rolled into tight coils and then glued together. They can be painted or left in their natural state.
To make paper strip ornaments;
- Cut a piece of paper into thin strips
- Roll the strips into tight coils
- Glue the coils together
- Paint or leave in the natural state.
These are made by hot gluing buttons to a piece of cardstock or felt in any design you like.
To create a button ornament, cut a piece of felt or cardstock into the desired shape. Then, begin gluing buttons in any design you like.
Continue until the entire surface is covered in buttons. Let it dry, and then hang it on your tree.
These colorful ornaments are made by painting a clear glass ball ornament with white acrylic paint. Once the paint is dry, add a unicorn horn and glitter. To create your unique design, you can also add other embellishments, like stars, flowers, etc.
Follow these steps to create a memorable unicorn ornament:
- First, paint the ball with the white acrylic paint
- Once it is dry, add the glitter
- Finally, add the unicorn horn
- You can also add other decorations like stars or flowers.
A monogrammed ornament is a great way to show off your personal style during the holidays. There are many different ways to create a monogrammed ornament, so you can choose the method that best suits your needs. One popular method is to use vinyl lettering.
You can find vinyl lettering in a variety of colors and fonts, so you can create a unique ornament that reflects your personality. Just stick the vinyl letters to the ornament and paint over them with a different color.
Another option is to use fabric letters or stickers. These stickers or letters are available in a variety of colors and styles, so you can find one that matches your decor. Just put the letters or stickers on the ornament and paint over them in a different color.
If you want an even more personalized ornament, you can create your own fabric letters or stickers. All you need is some fabric, scissors, and a hot glue gun. Cut out the desired shape from the fabric, and then use the hot glue gun to attach it to the ornament.
Glass Ball Ornament
Making a glass ball ornament is not only classic but easy as well. All you need is a clear glass ball, some paint, and some embellishments. To create your own glass ball ornament,
- Start by painting the inside of the ball with a solid color
- Once the paint is dry, add any embellishments you like
- You can use glitter, sequins, beads, or anything else you can think of
- Once you’ve added your embellishments, simply screw the top back on the ball and you’re done.
Cinnamon Stick Ornament
These ornaments are not only easy to make, but they smell great as well. All you need is a cinnamon stick and some string. Tie the string around the middle of the cinnamon stick, and then hang it on your tree.
You can also add other embellishments, like beads or sequins, to create a unique design.
Candy Cane Ornament
Candy canes are a classic Christmas ornament, and they’re also really easy to make. All you need is a candy cane, some ribbon, and some hot glue.
- Start by gluing the ribbon to the top of the candy cane. You can use any type of ribbon you like, but traditional red and green holiday ribbon works well
- Once the glue is dry, hang the ornament on your tree.
- You can also add other embellishments, like bells or sequins, to create a festive look.
There are so many ways to make glitter ornaments that it can be hard to know where to start. Here are eight of our favorite techniques:
- Glue a small amount of glitter to the top of a plain glass ornament
- Use a paintbrush to apply Mod Podge to the ornament, then sprinkle on glitter
- Mix together Elmer’s glue and water in a 1:1 ratio, then add glitter
- Dip the ornament into a bowl of silver or gold glitter
- Attach sequins or other small decorations with craft glue
- Sprinkle on some fake snow for a frosty look
- Draw on designs with a fine-tip permanent marker
- Add ribbon or bows to dress up the ornament.
Christmas is almost here, which means it’s time to start thinking about decorations. One of our favorite things to decorate with is metallic ornaments. There are so many ways to make them, and they add a touch of elegance to any tree.
One way to make a metallic ornament is to use Mod Podge. You can either paint it on or mix it with glitter. You can also use other metallic paints, like silver or gold, to give your ornament a nice sheen.
Another way to make a metallic ornament is by using tinsel. Just wrap tinsel around the ornament in whatever pattern you like, then use hot glue or craft glue to hold it in place. You could also add some sequins for extra sparkle. If you want an easy way to make a metallic ornament, try using spray paint. Just spray the ornament with whatever color you want and let it dry. You could also mix different colors together for a cool effect.
And finally, if you’re looking for something really unique, why not try making a metallic ornament out of clay? You can sculpt it into any shape you like and then bake it in the oven for a permanent finish.
Pom-poms are one of our favorite things to craft with, so it’s no surprise that we love them as Christmas ornaments, too! They’re super easy to make, and you can use any color combination you like. To make a pom-pom ornament,
- Start by wrapping yarn around your fingers until it’s about an inch thick
- Then, cut the yarn and tie it in the middle with another piece of yarn
- Next, fluff out the pom-pom and trim it into a nice, round shape
- Finally, use hot glue or craft glue to attach a loop of ribbon to the top so you can hang it on the tree.
If you know how to crochet, you can make a cute little Christmas ornament in no time. All you need is some yarn and a crochet hook. Start by crocheting a small circle, then add a loop of yarn to the top so you can hang it on the tree.
You can also crochet around a glass ball ornament for a different look. Just make sure to use a non-breakable yarn so your ornament will be safe.
One of the most popular trends this year is engraving your Christmas ornaments. You can use a wood-burning tool, a Dremel, or even just a sharpie to add names, dates, or other words to your ornament. This is a great way to personalize your ornament and make it extra special. To get started,
- First, choose the word or phrase you want to engrave on your ornament
- Next, use a pencil to lightly trace the word onto the ornament
- Then, start engraving! If you’re using a wood-burning tool, be sure to follow the instructions that came with your tool
- And if you’re using a sharpie, just trace over the pencil marks with your marker.
If you know how to knit, you can make a beautiful Christmas ornament in any color or pattern you like. All you need is some yarn and a pair of knitting needles.
Start by casting on 30 stitches, then knit in the round until your piece is about 3 inches wide. Next, add a loop of yarn to the top so you can hang it on the tree.
Finally, knit a few more rows and then bind off. You can also make a knitted ornament using two pieces of yarn held together. This will create a marbled effect that’s really pretty. Just be sure to use two colors that go well together.
This is a great project for anyone who loves to work with wood. You can use a carving knife or a Dremel to carve your own unique Christmas ornament. Start by sketching your design onto the wood, then start carving.
Be sure to sand your ornament smoothly when you’re finished so it’s nice and safe to hang on the tree. You could also try painting your carved ornament instead of leaving it natural. Just be sure to use non-toxic paint so it’s safe for your family.
If you want to add a little bit of nature to your Christmas tree, try making a feather ornament. You can use real feathers or craft feathers, whichever you prefer. To make the ornament,
- Start by glueing the feathers together in a fan shape
- Then, glue a loop of ribbon to the top so you can hang it on the tree
- You can also add beads or other decorations to your ornament if you like.
This is a great project for families with young children. You can use paint, ink, or even just markers to make handprints or footprints on a piece of paper. Then, cut out the shapes and glue them onto your ornament.
You can also use this same technique to make paw prints if you have a pet.
Anyone who likes working with clay will adore this activity. You can use oven-bake clay or air-dry clay to make your own unique Christmas ornament.
- Start by rolling the clay into a ball, then flatten it out into a disc
- Next, use a straw or other sharp object to make a hole in the top of the ornament. This is where you’ll add the loop of ribbon to hang it on the tree
- Then, use your hands or other tools to sculpt the clay into whatever design you like
- When you’re finished, bake or let your ornament air-dry according to the instructions that came with your clay.
DIY: How to make Christmas Photo Ornaments
This is a really easy project that’s great for families. All you need is a photo and a clear glass ornament. To get started, remove the top of the ornament and insert your photo. Then, put the top back on and your ornament is ready to hang.
You can also use this same technique to make an ornament with a family photo, a pet photo, or even a baby’s ultrasound.
Painted ornaments are a really easy project that anyone can do, and the results are really beautiful. To get started,
- Choose an ornamented form – you can use glass, plastic, or metal
- Then, wash and dry the ornament thoroughly
- Next, paint the ornament in any color or design you like
- You can use a brush or a sponge to apply the paint, whichever you prefer
- When the paint is dry, seal it with a coat of clear sealant or glitter glue
- Finally, add a loop of ribbon to the top so you can hang it on the tree.
Stained Glass Ornament
- Start by sketching your design onto the ornament, then paint it with stained glass paint
- Next, use the lead-free solder to “connect the dots” and outline your design
- When you’re finished, your ornament will be truly unique and beautiful.
If you’re passionate about crafts, this project is perfect for you! It involves using beads to create beautiful works of art. You’ll need a needle and thread to string the beads onto the ornament, but other than that, it’s a really easy project.
To get started, choose the beads you want to use and thread them onto the ornament in any pattern or design you like. You can also add charms or other decorations to your beaded ornament.
This year, if you’re hoping to find a unique way to decorate your Christmas tree, why not make some ornaments out of shells? Here are seven easy steps to get you started:
- Gather your supplies. In addition to shells, you’ll need some wire, glue, beads, and ribbon
- Cut a piece of wire about 12 inches long. Thread one end through the hole in a shell and twist it around the other end to secure it
- Glue a bead to the top of the wire loop
- Cut a piece of ribbon about 12 inches long. Tie it around the top of the bead to form a hanger
- Repeat steps 2-4 with additional shells
- Hang your ornaments on your Christmas tree
- If you have any extra shells, you can also use them as gift tags or place cards
- Simply write the recipient’s name on the shell and tie it to the gift with a ribbon or string.
How Do You Make Easy Christmas Ornaments?
You can make easy Christmas ornaments with materials like felt, paper, beads, and wire. For example, you can make a simple paper snowflake ornament by folding a piece of paper into quarters and then cutting six triangular shapes out of the folded edge.
What Can I Fill Homemade Ornaments With?
You can fill homemade ornaments with a variety of materials, such as beads, buttons, sequins, confetti, glitter, and even candy. You could also use dried beans or rice for a more subdued look. Simply pour the desired material into the ornament until it’s complete, then seal it closed with hot glue or a bit of ribbon.
How Do You Make Christmas Balls?
There are many ways to make Christmas balls. One way is to roll out some red or green dough and use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Then, use a straw to poke a hole in the top of each shape and bake according to the recipe. Once they’re cool, tie a ribbon through the hole and hang them on your tree.
How Do You Decorate a Clear Christmas Ornament?
One fun way to decorate a clear Christmas ornament is by painting it. You can use any bright color you like or mix different solid colors together to create a unique look. Another option is to add glitter or other decorative elements to make your ornament stand out.
What Glue Do You Use to Make Glitter Ornaments?
You can use any type of glue to make glitter ornaments, but a hot glue gun is the best option because it dries quickly and holds the glitter well.
Making your own Christmas ornaments is a fun and easy way to add personal touches to your holiday decor. There are many different ways to make ornaments, so you can choose the method that best suits your skills and materials. You can use anything from felt and paper to beads and wire.
And also, you can fill your ornaments with a variety of materials like beads, buttons, sequins, confetti, glitter, and even candy. So get started on your Christmas crafting today and create beautiful homemade ornaments that will brighten up your tree this year.