Table arrangements and styling play a crucial role in setting the tone for any event. As one of the most visually striking elements of interior design, it’s essential to incorporate a creative touch to your dinner table to showcase the elegance and sophistication of your occasion.
Napkin folds have gained a reputation as a versatile and elegant addition to any tablescape, whether formal or informal. They add a polished touch to your dining table and can be used to elegantly display menus, utensils and even serve as card holders.
In this guide, we will walk you through the process of creating sophisticated napkins for your special event with a step-by-step video tutorial.
Selecting a Napkin Design and Style
When selecting dinner napkins for your event, there are many options to consider, including color, pattern, and styling. Before making your decision, it’s important to determine the napkin design and style that best aligns with your desired aesthetic.
Before sourcing your napkins and choosing your fold style, consider the following factors:
Nature of event (formal or informal)
It’s important to keep in mind that different napkin fold styles are suitable for different types of events. Using a formal napkin fold for an informal occasion, for example, can detract from the overall atmosphere.
To ensure the napkin fold you choose complements the purpose and tone of your event, consider the nature of the event before selecting a style.
Event Color Theme
When selecting napkins for your event, it’s important to choose a color and pattern that enhances the overall elegance of your tablescape. Additionally, it’s important to ensure that the napkins you choose complement the color theme of your event’s decor.
Desired Function of the Napkin Fold
When choosing napkins for your event, it’s important to consider the various roles they will play beyond simply enhancing the appearance of your tablescape. Napkins serve practical functions such as protecting tablecloths from stains and serving as a means for wiping one’s mouth.
While most napkins can fulfill these purposes, some types, such as paper napkins, may not be suitable if you’re looking to achieve a sophisticated and elegant tablescape.
Materials You Would Need
- A Napkin
- Pressing iron
- Basic Napkin rings
- A Flat surface
Napkin Fabrics to Select From
When it comes to cloth napkins, there are several types of materials to choose from, including silk, cotton, and linen. Each material has its own unique characteristics that can impact the overall look and feel of your tablescape.
Cotton napkins are generally thick, which can make them less suitable for intricate folding. Linen napkins, on the other hand, are a preferred choice for those looking to create 3-D folds, as they are more pliable and tend to hold their shape better.
Silk napkins are perfect for luxury events and elegant table setting.
Paper napkins are a cost-effective option that can be great for large events with many guests in attendance. They are cheaper than fabric napkins and can be easily purchased in bulk. However, one of the downsides of paper napkins is that they are disposable and can only be used once. This can be an environmental concern.
Additionally, paper napkins are typically thinner than fabric napkins, which can limit the types of folds that can be made with them. Due to their thinness, paper napkins are not suitable for creating complex and elegant folds, unlike cotton or linen napkins.
Popular Napkin Folding Styles For Special Occasions
The Pocket Fold
The pocket napkin fold is a classic, functional and easy to create fold that is perfect for any occasion.
- We recommend using silk or linen napkins for this fold as they are easier to work with and create a more elegant look.
- To create a pocket napkin fold, start by spreading your napkin on a flat surface, such as a table. Press the napkin with an iron to smooth out any wrinkles and make it firm.
- Fold the napkin in half to create a rectangle shape, press the fold to keep it in place.
- Fold the rectangle in half again to create a square shape which is now a quarter of the original size of the napkin. Press this fold as well.
- Hold the top diagonal corner of the square and fold it down to create a triangle shape. Press the fold to keep it in place.
- Flip the napkin over so the triangle is facing down.
- Fold the left side of the triangle towards the center, then fold the right side in the same way, tucking the edges into one another to create a pocket. Press these folds with the iron to keep them in place.
- Flip the napkin over and you have your perfect pocket fold ready to hold your silverware.
The Rosebud Fold
The rosebud napkin fold is a sophisticated and elegant way to add a touch of class to your table setting. This fold can be displayed standing upright or laying flat on the plate.
- To create a rosebud napkin fold, start by spreading your napkin on a flat surface and ironing it till it’s smooth and wrinkle-free.
- Fold the napkin diagonally to create two equal triangles, press the fold to keep it firm.
- Orient the fold so the open end points outward.
- Fold the right corner flaps diagonally so the edge lies on the top corner, making sure the edge of the flap lies at the center of the line.
- Repeat the same process for the left corner, creating a diamond shape. Press this fold to keep it all together.
- Flip the diamond shape over and ensure the open edge is pointing outward.
- Fold the bottom of the fold about ¾ of the way upwards and press this down with the iron to keep them together.
- Flip the napkin over and gently curl the left edge upwards towards the center of the fold. Repeat the same process with the right edge. The two edges should meet at the center and tuck into one another.
- Flip the napkin over and you have completed the rosebud napkin fold.
The Lotus Fold
The lotus napkin fold is an elegant and intricate fold that adds a touch of sophistication to your dinner table. While it may seem complex at first glance, it is actually quite easy to create.
- To create a lotus napkin fold, begin by laying your napkin on a flat surface and carefully pressing it with an iron until it is smooth and wrinkle-free.
- Fold each corner of the napkin into the center and press the fold to make it firm. Then fold the corners of the resulting fold into the center again and press this outcome to keep the fold firm.
- Flip the napkin over, and then fold the corners into the center again. Press this fold.
- Hold the first layer of the fold in place and gently pull out the second layer of the fold from beneath the corners.
- Gently tug the second layer until the petals of your lotus form and stand up.
The Bowtie Fold
As the name suggests, the bowtie napkin fold creates a napkin that resembles a bowtie, making it an attractive option for formal events.
- To create a bowtie napkin fold, start by spreading your napkin on a table and using a pressing iron, press your napkin till it is smooth and wrinkle-free.
- Fold the top and bottom down of your napkin, so that the ends of your napkin meet at the center.
- Fold the opposite sides inwards to form a square.
- Flip your fold over to have a flat square.
- Use your fingers to pinch the middle of your fold to create three waves, then gently use a napkin ring to hold the center you are holding with your finger.
The Heart-shape Napkin Fold
The heart napkin fold is a playful and romantic design that is often used for Valentine’s Day or other romantic events. However, it can also be used for other occasions. The heart shape adds a touch of elegance to any table setting and is easy to create.
- To make a heart napkin fold, start by spreading your napkin on a flat surface and ironing it till it’s smooth and wrinkle-free.
- Fold the napkin in half to form a rectangle. Repeat the process to create another rectangle that is half the width of the previous one. Press the fold to keep it firm.
- Fold the right end of the rectangle upwards vertically and repeat the same for the left end. Press the resulting fold to keep it firm.
- Tuck in the center of the flaps at the rectangular part of the previous fold. This will create the heart shape.
- If the edges of the heart are not perfectly round, tuck them underneath to form the desired shape. Use a pressing iron to press the fold together and smooth out the edges.
FAQs on How to Fold Napkins for Special Events
What Napkin Materials are The Easiest and Fastest to Fold?
It is best to use cotton or linen napkin materials for your folds. They are firm and do not require ironing to hold together.
What Size of Napkin is Most Appropriate for a Napkin Fold?
The most popularly accepted sizes for fancy napkin folding techniques are 18×18 square and 20×20 square napkins. The latter is preferably used for making tall folds with a lot of details.
Where do I Place My Folded Napkin on The Table?
The napkin can either be on the left or right side of the plate. Some dinner napkins, like the lotus fold and heart, are best on the plate.